Glossary - User Guide 7.0
User Guide Search
VLab User Guide
- A discussion consisting of discrete entries displayed in reverse chronological order. The VLab supports blogs within communities -- should community owners enable them. Blogs are more appropriate for one way communication as opposed to a forum, which is better suited for two way discussions.
- A joint effort in an intellectual endeavor; a partnership between groups, offices or agencies to complete an initiative.
- A unified body of individuals. For the VLab, a community is a group of individuals and web pages with their own tools (e.g., forums, WIKI, document library), working on a particular initiative.
- See the "Control Menu" entry on the VLab Landing Page page
- An entry in the Science Sharing document library; synonymous with "submission" used on the YMTC page.
- Often called a message board, an internet forum is an online discussion allowing people to hold conversations. The VLab supports forums within communities. Users can post new threads and community owners can create different categories for threads. If you are subscribed to a forum you will get email notifications anytime someone creates a new thread or responds to a thread.
- Guest Role
- The Guest role effects users who have not authenticated (logged into the VLab). You can think of these users as the general public. This role only applies to content on a community's public pages.
- A new idea, method or device…novelty. For the VLab, it includes new tools, techniques, technologies, in support of strategic objectives, developed through research collaboration and shared through a variety of mechanisms.
- A portlet that allows one to locate content on a page. On the Science Sharing and YMTC pages, navigation portlets are provided to search for entries based on category/topic, tag, or just a general search.
- Open Community
- An open community is configured to allow any logged in user to join the community and thereby access its private pages (See Joining an Existing Community)
- Page Header
- See the "Page Header" entry on the VLab Landing Page page
- A portal or web portal is typically a gateway to other sites as well as provides easy access to commonly used tools and services.
- On the Web, a component of a portal Web site that provides access to some specific information source or application, such as news updates, technical support, or an e-mail program among many other possibilities. Portals aggregate different content into a single interface; portlets connect the user to specific content within that interface. Most portals offer a selection of portlets that the user can select for a customized interface.
- Private Community
- A private community is configured so that the community owner must add new members and that community does not appear in the "All Available Communities" list (See Joining an Existing Community. The membership request is sent to the community owner.
- Private Pages
- Pages in a VLab community that are intended for the use of community members only ("Site Member" role). For information on creating private page see the User Guide section "Creating a New Page"
- See the "Product Menu" entry on the VLab Landing Page page
- Public Pages
- Pages in a VLab community that are intended to be viewed by any logged in VLab user ("User" role). By setting permissions appropriately, these page can also be viewed by individuals who have not logged into the VLab ("Guest" role). For information on creating private page see the User Guide section "Creating a New Page"
- A method of providing feedback on submissions or documents within the science sharing portion of the VLab. Ratings are based on a scale from 1 star (worst) to 5 stars (best).
- Restricted Community
- A restricted community is configured to allow any logged in user to request membership in the community and thereby access its Joining an Existing Community). The membership request is sent to the community owner.
- Science Sharing
- An VLab initiative that gives NWS/NOAA staff a means to share information, research, training, etc. with other offices.
- Site Member Role
- The site member role effects users who have authenticated (logged into the VLab) and are members of the current community (See User Role)
- Strategic Objectives
Goal 1: Improved weather decision services: Provide demand-driven, impact-based weather services; Utilize emerging science and technology to improve accuracy, timeliness, and precision of forecasts and warnings.
Goal 2: Improved water forecasting services: Develop cross government, integrated water resource services; Advance science and technology to improve and expand water forecasting
Goal 3: Enhance climate services: Enhance NWS services to support development and delivery of NOAA climate services
Goal 4: Improve sector-relevant information: Strengthen use of weather-dependent information for informed decision making and risk management; Improve forecast skill to meet accuracy and confidence thresholds required for decision-making and risk management
Goal 5: Integrated environmental forecast services supporting healthy communities/ecosystems: Extend weather, water, and climate forecasts to provide ecological and health-based information and services; Harness evolving capabilities to enable ecological prediction
Goal 6: Sustain a highly-skilled, professional workforce: Enhance knowledge and skills of our dedicated workforce; Provide state-of-the-science, reliable, secure, and extensible infrastructure
- An entry on the You Make the Call page. Also synonymous with a document entry on the Science Sharing page.
- A code word for an entry that allows a user to find that entry through the Tag Navigation. For example, utilizing the "ymtc" tag would display all entries with that tag (in this case, all entries on the YMTC page). Unlike categories that are centrally managed, tags are considered a folksonomy -- anyone uploading content can add a new tag.
- A tool for simplifying an action. On the YMTC page, templates are provided to simplify the process of adding the html code needed to hide an answer for a submission.
- An organization of submissions within the science sharing portion off the VLab that includes the following items:
- Aviation Weather: topics dealing with aviation forecasts, observations, warnings, studies, etc. related to aviation weather.
- Climate: topics dealing with local, regional, or national climatology.
- Decision Support (DSS): topics dealing with decision support for the public or specific customer groups.
- Fire Weather: topics dealing with observations, forecasts, warnings, studies, etc. related to fire weather.
- Forecast/Warning Techniques: Techniques related to forecasts or warnings for any hazard.
- Forecast/Warning Technologies: Technology illustrations for forecasts or warnings for any hazard.
- Hydrology: topics dealing with flood observation, forecast, warning, or studies, or other areas of hydrology.
- Marine Weather: topics dealing with observations, forecasts, warnings, studies, etc. related to marine weather.
- Modeling: topics related to numerical weather prediction.
- Other: submissions/documents that do not fit into the other topics.
- Probabilistic: topics related to probabilistic information.
- Radar: topics dealing with utilization of radar in research or operations.
- Satellite: topics dealing with utilization of satellite in research or operations.
- Severe Weather: topics dealing with observations, forecasts, warnings, studies, etc. related to severe convection.
- Tropical Systems: topics dealing with observations, forecasts, warnings, studies, etc. related to tropical cyclones.
- Verification: topics related to forecast or warning verification…local, regional, or national.
- Watch/Warning/Advisories: topics related to NWS watches, warnings, and advisories.
- User Role
- The User role effects VLab users who have authenticated (logged into the VLab) but who are not members of the current community (See Site Member Role).
- Web Content
- Part of the Content Management System (CMS) within the VLab. The YMTC entries are considered Web Content.
- You Make The Call (YMTC)
- A science sharing initiative focused on short, simple submissions presented in a manner that serves as a training opportunity for others.
Timelines September 6, 2019
Portlet Guidance August 27, 2019
Managing Permissions: Page, Portlet, Content August 16, 2019
Using Forums July 2, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) April 9, 2019
Request Forms March 28, 2019
VLab Training March 28, 2019
Leverage the VLab Troubleshooting Forum March 28, 2019
VLab Support Team Consultation March 28, 2019
Submission Review (SOOs, DOHs, and Science Program Managers) March 28, 2019
Introduction 67350 Views
User Guide - Table of Contents (NEW) 11582 Views
User Guide - Table of Contents 4615 Views
Contact Us 2510 Views
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 2449 Views
VLab Training 2248 Views
Request Forms 2184 Views
Navigation 1643 Views
VLab Landing Page 1570 Views
Training Resources 1527 Views