LAMP Update and Info - MDL
LAMP Update and Info
LAMP Information and Documentation
Information For Upcoming LAMP/GLMP v2.2.0 Upgrade. Estimated effective date: October 2019
An upgrade to the LAMP and Gridded LAMP systems is planned to be implemented in NWS Operations October 2019. This section deals with documentation relative to the this upgrade (v2.2.0).
- Presentations: Slide package for User Evaluation (3/10/2019, pptx format, size ~ 14.3 MB).
- LAMP/GLMP v2.2.0 User Evaluation Form (feedback period open until April 1, 2019)
- Implementation Notification - Service Change Notice 19-61: Changes to LAMP station-based and gridded guidance effective October 22, 2019
- Experimental LAMP and GLMP graphics and products: GLMP and LAMP experimental web page.
- The current LAMP and GLMP product locations on the NWS server are unchanged with this implementation. For more details about the locations of these products on the NWS server, please see the links under "Products on NWS server" below.
- The current LAMP and GLMP WMO headers are unchanged with this implementation. For more details about the WMO headers for these products, please see the links under "WMO Headers" below.
- The new GLMP ceiling and visibility headers from projections 26-38 h (Coming Soon!).
- Presentations: Science Briefing to NCEP (Coming Soon!).
- Additional Stations: With this implementation making the following station changes:
- Adding LAMP guidance for San Bernadino, CA (KSBD). There will now be LAMP guidance of ceiling height, visibility, obstruction to vision, sky cover, precipitation type, conditional ceiling, and conditional visibility for KSBD.
- Changing the station identifer for Heber City, UT from K36U to KHCR.
- In January 2018 we added 332 stations to the LAMP ceiling, visibility, and obstruction to vision guidance. With this implementation, we are adding LAMP sky cover, precipitation type, conditional ceiling, and conditional visibility to those 332 stations, where possible. This new guidance will be added to the text bulletins and the BUFR files.
- Description of the new LAMP v2.2.0 GFS LAMP Alphanumeric Text Messages
- LAMP Thresholds (v2.2.0) for AWIPS (effective Summer 2019)
General LAMP Information
- Description of the GFS LAMP system
- Gridded LAMP Background
- LAMP Convection Product Information (pdf)
- LAMP Lightning Product Information (pdf)
- Description of the GFS LAMP Alphanumeric Text Message
- GFS LAMP Frequently Asked Questions
- New list of all stations with LAMP guidance.
- List of (old - 2007) GFS LAMP Stations (Updated 02/21/2007)
- List of (old - 2010) GFS LAMP Stations - Effective March 3, 2010
- List of (old - 2012) GFS LAMP Stations - Effective July 17, 2012
- List of (old - 2015) GFS LAMP Stations - Effective January 14, 2015
- Additional GFS LAMP Stations - Effective May 8, 2007
- Additional GFS LAMP Stations - Effective July 17, 2012
- Removed GFS LAMP Stations - Effective January 14, 2015
- Additional GFS LAMP Stations - Effective January 25, 2018
- Current list of all GFS LAMP Stations - Effective January 25, 2018
GFS LAMP Technical Information
- GFS LAMP Forecast Elements
- Schematic depicting the 2-hr convection and lightning projections (pdf)
- WMO headers for:
- All LAMP station-based products and Gridded LAMP convection and lightning products (pdf) (Updated 6/18/2019)
- All other Gridded LAMP products (pdf) Effective June 2016; Updated 04/27/2016)
- Products on NWS server:
- Encoding details:
- GRIB2 encoding details for:
- Gridded LAMP 2-hr convection and lightning products
- Gridded LAMP 1-hr convection and lightning products
- Legacy Gridded LAMP thunderstorm products (Note: this is in reference to legacy 5-km gridded products which will be removed as soon as dependencies on them have been removed)
- All other Gridded LAMP products Updated 08/06/2015
- BUFR encoding details for LAMP station-based products
- GRIB2 encoding details for:
- Details of binary scaling of Gridded LAMP GRIB2 files Updated 08/06/2015
- GFS LAMP Jobs Sheets (Available in AWIPS OB7.2)
GFS LAMP Notifications of Changes
- Service Change Notice 17-101: Updated: Changes to LAMP station-based and gridded guidance effective January 25, 2018.
- Older GFS LAMP TINs