HPN - OCLO
Training & Job Sheets
- Loading HPN from the Volume Browser jobsheet
- Fixing precip rate color table in Volume Browser jobsheet
- HPN Focal Point Configuration Page
- "Introduction to the High-Resolution Precipitation Nowcaster (HPN)" (see CLC)
- "Using HPN in AWIPS" training (see CLC)
- The HPN is a 1hr QPF of the HPE and Bias HPE products.
- Essentially a linear extrapolation of precipitation echoes based off its own feature tracking.
- One of the better 1hr QPF options available in AWIPS.
- Loading VB Rate - "No Backfill", 5 frames (see loading jobsheet above)
- Loading VB 1hr QPF - "No Backfill", 2 frames (see loading jobsheet above)
- Displaying in FFMP Table - Attributes button -> HPE Nowcast turns on split window
- Duration = [1hr QPF] + [remaining hrs QPE]
- Displaying in FFMP Basin Trends - Toggle on purple "guid" line, then toggle on orange "qpf" line with HPE Nowcast
- Displaying HPE HPN from Scan Menu - SCAN->HPE-> QPF-> HPE Nowcast -> FFMP hpe HPE Nowcast Display
- Displaying BHPE HPN from Scan Menu - SCAN->BHPE-> QPF-> BHPE Nowcast -> FFMP bhpe BHPE Nowcast Display
- Do not use HPN in FFMP table prior to 17.3.1 as ratios/diffs do not use combined QPE and QPF
- Best used in steady-state situations like MCS.
- Use 1hr QPF plots from SCAN menu or VB to visualize accumulations.
- Use split window in FFMP Basin Table or "qpf" line in FFMP All-hours Basin Trend Graph to compare accumulations to FFG, valid 1hr in the future.
- FFMP table does not correctly use QPF in ratio and diff calculations prior to 17.3.1.
- Extrapolation does not factor in new convective development or handle intensification changes well.
- Small errors in motion can have big consequences for 1hr QPF on basin-scale.