RAC AWIPS Fundamentals - OCLO
RAC AWIPS Convective Warning Fundamentals
FY20 Course Schedule - Workshop 20-2 (Feb 2020)
FY20 Course Schedule - Workshop 20-5 (Apr 2020)
- Dec 18, 2019 - Intro module and VLab training released (10-20 hrs)
- Dec 18, 2019 RAC procedures used in WES exercises and workshop available from the RAC References page
- Dec 20, 2019 - All WES cases and videos should arrive for new offices who haven't had a student in RAC (transcripts and videos for reference; 5-6 hrs)
- Dec 20, 2019 Proficiency Test emailed to facilitators and review sheet PDF in VLab
- Dec 2019-Jan 2020 - recommended installation time frame for cases and training - new install guidance
- Dec 2019-Mar 2020 complete AWIPS Fundamentals and Proficiency Exam by early March 2020
- Mar 30-Apr 3, 2020 - take Workshop Primer
- Apr 6-10 2020 - RAC workshop 20-5
(see RAC: AWIPS 17.3.1 Convective Warning Fundamentals in your CLC RAC curriculum)
1. AWIPS Convective Warning Fundamentals Intro (7min)
- RAC students log into the CLC and take this short intro presentation in your RAC: AWIPS 17.3.1 Convective Warning Fundamentals curriculum to understand how to take the course
2. AWIPS 17.3.1 Convective Warning Fundamentals VLab Training (10-20 hrs)
- Review web pages and practice with job sheets using specially designed AWIPS Convective Warning Fundamentals VLab applet (also available from the "Forecaster References" menu and "RAC AWIPS Fundamentals" submenu on top of page)
- Job sheets requiring live AWIPS (e.g. RPG product submission and status monitor) or WES-2 Bridge (e.g. WarnGen) are noted in the training
- After you complete AWIPS Fundamentals VLab sections (e.g. 8 pages with job sheets under CAVE Fundamentals in above figure), mark yourself complete in your RAC: AWIPS 17.3.1 Convective Warning Fundamentals curriculum from your transcript in the CLC.
- Use live AWIPS build (18.*/19.*) or 17.3.1 WES-2 Bridge
3. WES-2 Bridge Exercises (4hrs; 17.3.1 WES-2 Bridge and test case, AWIPS Fundamentals videos and training case)
- WES Focal Point installs 17.3.1 WES-2 Bridge, cases, and videos
- 2013May31_OUN_AFun_FY19 case
- training accessed under Applications->WDTD->WDTD Training Resources menu using the "FY$$ AWIPS Fundamentals W2B Exercises" and "FY$$ RAC Applied Performance Drills" on WES-2 Bridge where FY$$ is either FY19 or FY20v1 (same case with different link names)
- Practice using AWIPS with step-by-step videos (see transcriptions page for text transcriptions and copies of the videos)
- Note: the point of the WES-2 Bridge exercises is to actually practice the tasks, so watching the videos online is not sufficient.
- After you complete AWIPS Fundamentals WES Exercise groups (e.g. 5 videos under CAVE Basics), mark yourself complete in your RAC: AWIPS 17.3.1 Convective Warning Fundamentals curriculum from your transcript in the CLC.
- This release also contains the WES-2 Bridge exercises for the RAC Convective Storm Structure and Evolution: Applied Performance Drills (this is separate from the AWIPS Fundamentals Course).
4a. Review Proficiency Test Task List
- Review the task list PDF to assess if you are ready to take the proficiency test
- Review the appropriate VLab pages, job sheets, or videos for tasks you are not prepared to demonstrate.
4b. Take Proficiency Test (1-2hrs)
- RAC facilitator proctors timed test and notes scores on tasks
- RAC students takes a one question test from their transcript in the CLC to enable tracking
- RAC facilitator sends scanned exam notes to Michael.A.Magsig@noaa.gov (or send via mail), and Mike marks you complete
- Proficiency Test needs to be completed before coming to the workshop (ideally completed a month before the workshop) and before the Workshop Primer which is designed to be completed the week before the workshop (or as close to the workshop as possible).
5. RAC Workshop Primer WES Exercises (4 hours)
- On 17.3.1 WES-2 Bridge follow along with videos that begin putting everything together to issue warnings with AWIPS procedures used in the workshop
- WES Focal Points install RAC Workshop Primer videos and a hydro case
2016Jun23_RNK_WorkshopPrimer_FY20 (hydro case updated with IBW flash flood)
2013May31_OUN_AFun_FY19 case is used from existing AWIPS Fundamentals case
training accessed under Applications->WDTD->WDTD Training Resources menu using the "FY20v1 RAC Workshop Primer" on WES-2 Bridge
20-2 and 20-5 Workshop Primer - all sites will receive a new Workshop Primer install disc Dec 20, 2019
- Take this the week before the RAC workshop or as close to that as you can.
The procedures used in the RAC WES exercises and workshop are available on the RAC References page.
For any questions about completing AWIPS Fundamentals contact Mike Magsig at Michael.A.Magsig@noaa.gov or chat via the WDTB Chat (wdtbchat) room.